Sunday, June 18, 2006

We're Here!

(Saturday Update--I didn't have internet access then)
Hello friends!
I’ve been in Utah for 6 days now. I had the pleasure of spending the first 5 nights with Brad and his family, and we’ve now moved into the Salt Company house. Brad and I spent the past 5 days preparing in a variety of ways, including cleaning and setting up the house, shopping, moving furniture, working on resources, preparing Scripture study time, talking about the schedule, visiting the Institute, and spending time in prayer. It’s been a good and productive week. I’ve also enjoyed some time to rest, catch up on sleep, go running, enjoy cooler weather, and talk on the phone with family and friends. A lot is happening with my family in Tucson right now, so that has been a little distracting and sad for me, but God’s timing is perfect, and I know He wants me here right now. Nonetheless, they have been on my heart and my mind a lot this week.

Kristin, Kerrie, and Tyler have all arrived safely and settled in. Saturday morning Brad, his 3 daughters, and I got up early and went yard-sale shopping. We must have hit at least 10-15 in approximately 2 and a half hours! We had prayed specifically for a number of items, many of which we found at a great price. We got a leather sofa, chair, and ottoman all for $40! Granted, some of the leather on the seats isn’t in the greatest condition, but it’s comfy and definitely fills up our living space. We also found a coffee table for a few dollars, a big, thick rug for my bedroom for $2 (a total steal), and some other odds and ends. After picking up the girls at the airport, having a yummy lunch at Pie Pizzeria, and unpacking, we did a major grocery shopping trip to Smiths with Brad. Tyler got in around 6:30, which was great timing. We made a quick, easy dinner and had our first meal together. I think we have a really neat mix of abilities and personalities on our team—several are musicians, some are more outgoing than others, and all are serious about their faith and missions/evangelism. Saturday night they spent at least an hour upstairs “jamming together” on guitars and finding worship songs they all knew. I can tell we are going to get along well and have a lot of fun together!

Thank you for your prayers. God has already answered many, including safe travel for all of us, provision of great housing (much better than I had anticipated), and helping me prepare for our first few days of Scripture study. We will begin by looking at Philippians 2, then we’ll look at the interaction between Jesus and the Samaritan woman in John 4. The 3rd day we will study how Paul interacted with another culture in Acts 17 as he preached about “the Unknown God.” Next week will be our orientation week, with some get-to-know you activities, talking and reading about crossing cultures, a retreat of silence for a good portion of Monday, and a surprise activity on Tuesday. =) We will start Institute classes and our more normal routine the following week.

Well, I guess that’s about all for now. Sorry I haven’t written sooner. Internet access has been inconsistent. Hopefully that will improve. Thanks again for your support and prayers! May God be magnified through our time here in Utah.

No comments: